Re: Differential Drain Plug

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Differential Drain Plug
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:50:32 -0400
FWIW-

I am planning to drop the diff this winter to weld in some pin support,
replace the diff bushings with poly and fix a leaky front seal (second
time). In the process, I am going to install a drain plug.

The first time I heard about this was several years ago in issue I-4 of the
6PACK newsletter. A tech tip by Len Renkenberger suggested putting the plug
into the aluminum portion of the case 2 1/2" from the rear of the case.

I called The Roadster Factory today and spoke with Dave. In the most recent
"catalog" Charles states that TRF now installs a drain plug in all their
rebuilt diffs. Dave told me that it is a 3/8" plug placed on a landing in
the cast iron part of the case. He doubted that a plug in the aluminum would
allow all the oil to drain out.

There is an old diff out in the shed behind some other junk. Tomorrow I'll
pull it out and check to see if the fit for a 3/8" plug is too tight (for
me).

Peter
'68 TR250