RE: Aluminum Plug

To: rengrave@netzero.net (Wayne Ross)
Subject: RE: Aluminum Plug
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 10:57:45 -0700 (PDT)
Wayne---I really don't know why Triumph decided to use a straight
threaded  aluminum plug at this place in the block. Possibly it is
supposed to expand with heat to aid the sealing process?

A shorter bolt with a copper gasket should also work here, provided it
had a small head to clear the block lip. An Allen bolt would do, but
they're hard to find in this size, unless you want to buy a box of 25
from a specialty bolt co. Then one would have to machine off the excess
length. (Picture an Allen bolt 3/4"X16X5/8") My hex head also worked, as
the unthreaded part of the shank bottomed out, thus tightening the
thread lock. This unthreaded part of the bolt also kept the head away
from the block, so a one inch wrench could be used to install it.

I admit it's not as neat, but well hidden, and it doesn't leak.

Dick