Re: brake upgrade

To: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: brake upgrade
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:45:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Shane Ingate wrote:

> Gary Fuqua wrote:
>
> > Cross drilled & vented rotors with over size Alfins in the
> > back.  Great combo with stainless steel lines.
>
> I'm not sure that the Alfins (or 240Z) finned aluminum drums are oversized.
> They fit with stock pads.  All they offer are light weight and cool looks.
> The aluminum probably disperses heat more readily than the cast iron, so
> they would presumably run cooler.

The 240Z al-fin drums are basically 9 inch drums cast in aluminium with
steel inserts (cast in, e.g. non replacable). As Shane implies, the
advantage is lower unsprung wieght and better heat dissapation.

I will say that for the al-fins to work right, you have to adjust the
brakes tight (turn to tight back off two clicks). If you are not religious
about this adjustment, you will get a nasty surprise in the form of very
long brake pedal travel (and that sinking @w $#!^ feeling).

> If you do pick up a set of used 240Z drums, remember that the hub-hole has
> to be reamed to fit the TR6 hubs.  Just take a spare hub and the drums to
> your friendly (competent) machinist.

Having done this process more than once, I would strongly suggest that you
try to source the new drums from TRF (or if you know the actual
application (which I do not) from a larger supplier). The reason I say
this is that while Shane is correct that the hub centric hole needs to be
opened up, there is one other critial dimension... that is the lip of the
brake backing plate. On the 240Z drums, there is a short recess in the
outer lip of the drum. This does not clear the stock TR6 backing plate, so
you need to either grind metal off the backing plate (okay for race cars,
probably not okay for street cars) - OR - you need to machine the lip to
be deeper than that provided by Datsun.

The almost bolt on aspect of the TRF part is pretty appealing - plus you
get new drums that'll last a long time.

I also agree that they look kool, but you need to invest in wheels that
let you see the drums to really get those "ooohs" and "aaahs" from your
fellow Triumphiles.

> Shane Ingate in Maryland

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |