Re: brake upgrade

To: "The Orthen's" <orthen@stargate.net>
Subject: Re: brake upgrade
From: Shawn Loseke <shawn@swo.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 00:37:57 -0700
 Actually they are supposed to reduce fade. Fade is created by a gaseous
build up between your pad and rotor from excessive temperatures while
braking. The cross drilled holes allow two things. The evacuation of the
gaseous build up and increased cooling to help prevent the gaseous build
up.
 An additional benefit is making the brakes on the car lighter. A real
consideration on race cars, not so necessary on street cars. An
unfortunate side effect though is that the rotors will warp easier if
they are cross drilled. Cryogenics can actually help with this but can
get spendy. Newer pads are also supposed to be able to sustain higher
heat loads without generating the gas.

 On street applications, slotted or vented rotors would be just as
effective and longer lasting in most cases. Although the cross drilled
jobs will earn you more street cred with the younger crowd.

Shawn Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort COllins, CO
http://www.loseke.net/shawn