Alternator Rebuilding?

To: "TR6" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator Rebuilding?
From: "Charlie and Linda Duckworth" <iiv000@mail.connect.more.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 07:32:05 -0500
My alternator is showing the signs of giving up the ghost.  When starting
the car it is taking a 45 seconds or so to see the needle on the gauge climb
up to 14.5 before it would only take a few seconds.  While at idle the
voltage gauge slowly comes off 14.5 volts down to around 11 at a stop light.
It does climb back up to 14.5 while highway driving.  The idle hasn't
dropped so it should be charging the same at idle as a highway speed.
Battery is new as wasn't holding a charge and was coming up on a four years
old birthday.

Is there any comments from the listees on rebuilding an alternator and is so
what do I look for as possible suspect parts or do I merely buy a
replacement alternator.  Read on a google search putting in a Ford Fiesta
(in fact my daily downtown driver is a Fiesta) alternator but I'd like to
stay original as I'm still running the original electrics that came with the
car and have no a/c or extra power radio/speaker to require the additional
amps.

Thanks - Charlie