My turn to whine: Wire Wheels

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: My turn to whine: Wire Wheels
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:20:04 -0400
     Folks,

     In early June I installed:

     4 new Dayton 15" wire wheels (from TRF in '00)
     4 Pirelli P4000 (215/70)
     4 new hub adapters (2 from Moss, bought in '90 still in box, 2 from
     TRF in '00)
     16 shortened studs, new nuts
     4 new octagon knockoffs

     When I installed each wheel, I checked for 'slop', that is, 'how
     much can the wheel turn on the hub adapter, if the knockoff is
     loose'?  With all new pieces, I did not expect any.  There was no
     slop noticed, or it was so small, I couldn't measure it.

     Last week, after driving about 1500 miles in 5 weeks, I went to
     remove the wheels in order to retighten the newly installed studs
     and make sure they were completely seated.

     To my dismay, my right rear wheel now has almost 3/16" slop
     (measured at the edge of the wheel rim.)  The other three are still
     okay, no slop noticeable.

     The splines still look new (on edge view: like a triangle with the
     top flattened, no wear noticeable).  There is slight gauling<SP?>
     on the surface of the hub adapter between the stud nuts and the
     splines, where the wheel presses against the hub.  I used
     anti-seize on all the mating surfaces.

     Since this is an alarming amount of wear for so few miles, is this
     more likely a defect or something I somehow screwed up?

     Thanks,
     Rick Olson
     '72 TR6