Re: Clutch help!

To: nriedel@nextek.net (Nelson Riedel)
Subject: Re: Clutch help!
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:26:01 -0700 (PDT)
Nelson---I used nothing but "standard parts" in the clutch area for
about 20 years, and they seemed as reliable as could be expected. Stock
fork, pin, B&B clutch, etc. About five years ago it took three different
T/O bearings to get one that lasted more than a thousand miles. Five
years later I went thru this exercise again, before going to the Toyota
bearing. Since it's only been in for a couple of months, the jury is
still out on this one, but it looks stouter than the stock replacement
choice.  Normally I'm a proponent of using factory original parts, and
found them to be better thought out than back yard remedies.  The
problem seems to be quality control from the manufacturers of these
'stock' replacement parts. I'm sure the Big Three suppliers are aware of
this.

Dick T.