Loss of engine oil pressure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Loss of engine oil pressure
From: StuBeatty@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:22:36 EDT
List

I have a problem with lack of oil pressure in my 1974 TR6. Last fall I
drained the engine of oil and took the pan off for reasons unrelated to this
problem. The pan was replaced but the oil was not. Last week everything was
finally put back together, with a new oil pan gasket and the engine was
started. There was no pressure showing on the dash gauge and the oil warning
light did not come on. The oil pump was checked visually and does not show
any signs of wear. The check valve on the block seems to working properly.
The oil filter was removed and the engine cranked. I figure oil should come
shooting out...nothing. It seems the oil is not being circulated in the
engine. Lastly the car only has 33000 original miles. Last summer I replaced
the stock canister filter with a spin on adapter. When the car was put away
last fall everything worked properly with the correct oil pressure showing on
the gauge.
Is there any way of testing the oil pump? After sitting for 10 months with
out oil, would the pump need to be primed? I can't find any sort of reference
in my manual regarding this. Is it possible the oil pump just simply quit
working?
Any insight to this problem would be appreciated.

Stuart Beatty
Belleville Ontario
74 Sapphire
76 Carmine