Re: Loss of engine oil pressure

To: StuBeatty@aol.com
Subject: Re: Loss of engine oil pressure
From: Rob Pennington <robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:01:40 -0500
Yup, you need to prime the pump.  I rebuilt my engine a couple of years ago
including a new oil pump and had exactly this problem even though I was
told repeatedly by tech support at TRF that it wasn't necessary.

To do prime it, I removed the distributor and to get to the top of the oil
pump.  I then notched one end of a plastic hose, the type used to connect
up a sink to the water supply so that it fit over the top of the pump and
then used a drill to drive it.  It took a few minutes with the drill to get
it to start pumping oil but it finally did.  If this hadn't worked, I was
going to take the pan off and pack the oil pump with grease.

Good luck!

Rob