Clutch Shaft Warning!!!!

To: 6 Pack Digest <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Shaft Warning!!!!
From: Jim Henningsen <jdhenn@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:19:42 -0400
Hello listers, I wanted to warn all about a problem we just found today
with a new MOSS clutch shaft.  If you remember a short time back I had a
problem with my slave cylinder piston popping out when the clutch was
depressed. All of the clutch components were new and installed
correctly.  My fix was to install two nuts as spacers (5/16inch) to move
the opening of the slave cylinder closer to the clutch shaft.  Dick
Taylor was kind enought to help me in checking all applicable
measurements.  The MOSS shaft looked correct, in that the piece that
attaches to the push rod extended vertically.  Well, I had the tranny
out to install the uprated throwout bearing and was able to check the
shaft with an factory original part.  We noticed that the new MOSS shaft
was welded at a slightly different angle than the original. This would
explain why the 5/16 inch spacers were needed.  Also, the piece of the
shaft where the push rod attaches was longer than the original and the
holes didn't quite line up the same. When the push rod is installed it
doesn't go straight into the slave cylinder. It has a slight angle that
I don't like but it works well. I didn't have another good unworn shaft
to install so kept this one in for now.

Anyone else have this problem?  Dick, thanks for all your help. I hope
this answers your questions.  We were happy to finally have the answer.

Jim
75 TR6
80 TR7
--