Re: Update:California SB800 /SB1172

To: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Update:California SB800 /SB1172
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@telocity.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:14:12 -0700
Dick,

I think that in 2003, the 30 year rolling exemption will still be used
(which is what is supposed to happen under current law).  The main
difference is that the exemption will no longer apply to the "rolling
wrecks" that are driven daily - you will have to insure the car as a
"collector" vehicle and there will be special license plates.  Here is the
text of the proposed law that (I think) applies:

 SECTION 1.  Section 44011 of the Health and Safety Code is amended
to read:
   44011.  (a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion
engines that are registered within an area designated for program
coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of
compliance or noncompliance, except for all of the following:
   (1) Every motorcycle, and every diesel-powered vehicle, until the
department, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures
applicable to motorcycles or to diesel-powered vehicles, or both.
   (2) Any motor vehicle that has been issued a certificate of
compliance or noncompliance or a repair cost waiver upon a change of
ownership or initial registration in this state during the preceding
six months.
   (3) (A) Prior to January 1, 2003, any motor vehicle manufactured
prior to the 1974 model-year.
   (B) Beginning on January 1, 2003, any motor vehicle that is 30 or
more model-years old.

Of course, this still has to get out of committee, get passed by both
houses, and signed by the Governor to be law.

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6