Can bearings and engine rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Can bearings and engine rebuild
From: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:09:20 -0700
Am having to rebuild the bottom end due to a spun rod bearing.  In the
process I want to install a cam bearing.  I am unclear as to the nature
of this bearing and where to obtain it:
Kastner states on from a Spitfire MArk III works, and lists part numbers
[I do not know what these numbers refer to as relates to our current
suppliers].  Moss has a specific part number for this at $120, which
seems very high given that Cambridge Motor Sports in Britain [an
expensive source of TR racing parts] sells them for 29 pounds.

My specific question is -- have any of you had your TR 6 engine line
bored and then installed cam bearings?  If so, what bearings did you use
and where did you get them.

My next question regards all the plugs in the engine block.  I am
thinking of removing all the ones associated with the oil journeys --
how are they removed, and how are they replaced.

Since this is a total engine out of the car experience [my first] are
there any watch out fors, really should dos, etc.  Any links to web
sites with specifics on TR 6 rebuilds?

Finally, to Don Clark:  Are you just not able to locate the part number
for the main bearing caps, or are Moss and TRF truly out of them?  TRF
calls them HB1024 [page 21, item AH3].  The TR 6 workshop manual says to
always replace them [and the rod bolts also].  Where did you get your
rod bolts [I notice Moss sells an expensive set that I presume comes
from ARP -- I bought their head bolts a while back and that was there
vendor].  Have you tried Tacoma Screw?

Chuck Arnold

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
chuck.arnold.vcf]