Re: Flushing a braking system

To: hurls@world.std.com (Jim Hurley)
Subject: Re: Flushing a braking system
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
Jim---Do you really want to go to all the work of rebuilding the entire
brake system?  A pedal that "goes to the floor" after sitting for months
is not particularly unusual. I didn't read that you have done anything
'wrong' before storing the car. However, it is a good idea to give both
the clutch and brake pedals a few pumps periodically when you store the
car. This action can  lubricate the bores and break up a potential ring
of rust that likes to form.

Can you pump the pedal to where it holds pressure? Was this drop to the
floor a one-time thing?  If you CAN'T hold pressure, a simple changing
of the seals in the MC may be all that's necessary. Look down the bore
of the MC when it's open to see if there's any pitting. If so, a brake
honing tool will usually clean this up.  I wouldn't go to the work of
flushing the system unless this hasn't been done in several years.

Dick T.
L.A.