Flushing a braking system

To: 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Flushing a braking system
From: Jim Hurley <hurls@world.std.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:01:45 -0400
Hello,

I may have screwed myself. Late last fall, I noticed the brake fluid
reservoir was low on my '75 TR6. The plastic top said that I could use DOT3
fluid, I had a fresh bottle on the shelf, so I put it in. The car drove
fine for several weeks, then sat in my garage. I've started it up several
times, but never needed to apply the brakes.

Yesterday, I did push on the brake pedal, just as an afterthought, and it
went right to the floor. There are no obvious signs of leakage, so I'm
assuming that my master cyclinder is bad. Does this make sense?

If this is the case, I can take out the master cyclinder and rebuild it,
but should I flush out the system? What do I use to do this? I have a
Mighty Vac. Do I need to rebuild the rear slave cyclinders? Probably
should. What about rebuilding the calipers???

Thanks in advance!

Jim Hurley                      "Life is too short for a backfire!"
'75 TR6
'83 F350 4 Door