Re: Flushing a braking system

To: Jim Hurley <hurls@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Flushing a braking system
From: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:59:52 -0300
Jim - obviously, you can take this as far as you want or likewise limit
your efforts (as the case may be).  I'm surprised there is no obvious
leakage.  What about the floor beneath the brake pedal?  Regardless, I know
that I have gotten myself back on the road many times by bleeding the
system and moving on - but, for obvious safety reasons, I wouldn't
recommend this.  better to located the source of the problem and fix it.
Since you gotta bleed anyway, why not replace the seals in the master and
slave?  If the rear cylinders ain't broke, well - you know.  I've got a
Mighty Vac, too, but I can't stand mine.  Invariably, I revert to the
Ruthie's Patented Brake Pumper (Ruth being my saintly wife).  If I had
time, I'd tell you about the episode where she helped me do just this chore
for what seemed like hours, only to discover that the reason no fluid was
coming out the bleeders was because she was pumping the clutch!!  But I
don't have time, so I can't tell you the story.

Rich C.
Almost ready to reinstall a rebuilt engine and praying for warm, spring
weather in gloomy Halifax.