TR6 No Power

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 No Power
From: "The Romagni's" <mrdr@buckeyeweb.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:37:24 -0400
Fellow Listers:

Here's a problem I hope some of you can help me with. My 1974 TR6 is
suddenly without power. Here's the situation:

I drove it to work yesterday with no problem. I filled the gas tank
before parking it for the day. After work I drove about 30-40 mi to the
golf course. The car ran perfect, plenty of power, no problems. After
golf, I started the car and began the drive home. I noticed after about
5 mi, the car idled poorly, about 500 rpm. About half way home on the
interstate, the car developed a random miss, then kept going. I also
noticed the car didn't seem to have its usual power. The missing got
worse as I drove on. After about 40 mi, the miss and lack of power got
worse, so I got off the interstate. The car stalled at the top of the
ramp, but I was able to start it fine. The power was definitely down,
but no missing. Everytime I got to a light, I had to put it in neutral
and keep the revs up to prevent it from stalling. I got the car home
fine. I started the car today, but still no power. There is no big
missing, but it doesn't idle smooth and when I rev it there is a
noticeable lack of power.

I have a Pertronix Ignitor on the car (no problems with that) and the
emission equipment has been removed (no canister, egr, etc.). Have had
the car for 4 yrs, carbs haven't been touched. I also checked the plugs,
they look fine. Topped up the carbs with oil too.

I'm thinking fuel first. Maybe replace the filter and go from there.

What else should I look at?

Thanks in advance

Marty Romagni
1974 TR6