Throw Out This Bearing?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Throw Out This Bearing?
From: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:33:52 -0300

Gang - I replaced my release bearing when I put in a new gearbox two
winters ago.  Maybe I I didn't press the bearing on the sleeve properly,
maybe I didn't grease the shaft (should I have?), maybe I should have used
a Landcruiser part.  Whatever.  It squeeked and was binding a bit for a
while but now I find things have gotten worse.  Even with the tranny in
neutral, when I depress the clutch pedal, I get more noticeable squeeling
AND the engine labours.  I presume I must replace the bearing again but is
something else, like the notorious thrust washer, contributing to my
symptoms?

This time, if I gotta dismantle the works, that engine is getting rebuilt.
I'll save enough on oil to pay for the rebuild and, oh boy, even a
restoration to stock horsepower will be nice.

Rich C.
With a '74 in Halifax and a long weekend coming up.