Re: Throw Out This Bearing?

To: rcotting@mgnet.ca
Subject: Re: Throw Out This Bearing?
From: Grego Sanguinetti <grego@accelerant.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:15:58 -0700
rcotting@mgnet.ca wrote:

> Gang - I replaced my release bearing when I put in a new gearbox two
> winters ago.  Maybe I I didn't press the bearing on the sleeve properly,
> maybe I didn't grease the shaft (should I have?), maybe I should have used
> a Landcruiser part.  Whatever.  It squeeked and was binding a bit for a
> while but now I find things have gotten worse.  Even with the tranny in
> neutral, when I depress the clutch pedal, I get more noticeable squeeling
> AND the engine labours.  I presume I must replace the bearing again but is
> something else, like the notorious thrust washer, contributing to my
> symptoms?

Well, you could very easily check the crankshaft endplay. But I think
it is a long shot. It sounds like the throwout bearing to me, from your
description. When they start squeeling, they usually don't have much
life left Best to deal with it early before it takes out your input shaft
or the pivot shaft holes in the bellhousing...

-grego