RE: Battery drained after a drive

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery drained after a drive
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:13:38 +0100
FWIW thats quite the same what I did, I was finally able to trace it to a
faulty relay. Now the TR has been standing for a week, battery connected and
all, just like you would expect it starts first time.
Take your multimeter and check for drainage.

Cheers, Gernot

>===== Original Message From Bert Van der Stee <bvdstee1@yahoo.com> =====
>Dear Listers,
>So I got the alternator out & opened it up.  The diode trio looked burnt
>out, and the wiring of the rotor was also slightly damaged.  That explained
>the current flow, even though nothing should be consuming energy.  Best
>solution seemed to put in another alternator, what I did.
>
>Everything seemed to go fine now, since :
>* engine at 1500 rpm, little electricity consumption  - between the battery
>poles I measure +- 14.2 volts.  The voltage at the alternator itself is
>14.3 volts.  OK here.
>* with the headlights on, this voltage goes down to about 13,9 volts.  OK
>also.
>* when the engine starts, the ampere meter shows "Charge", but this becomes
>"neutral" quite fast.
>
>So I did a tour of about 10 miles with the headlights on.  When I arrived
>home, I backed the car up in the driveway and by accident stalled the
>engine.  Fortunately I stalled it at home, because it did not restart any
>more ! Battery flat.
>
>So now, the alternator is OK, the wiring is OK, but the battery still goes
>flat. I now suspect the battery itself again, although it tests fine (12.6
>volts, it remains charged after a week, the test of the battery cells
>showed "OK" too). I am going to try the 6 again now with another battery.
>
>Anyone else has got this problem with a battery ? Or could it be something
>else (I got a suggestion that it might be the starter that continues to use
>power ?) ?
>
>Bert

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280
Website http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1048