RE: Battery drained after a drive

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery drained after a drive
From: Bert Van der Stee <bvdstee1@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:56:09 +0200
Dear Listers,

after a holiday and a busy-at-work period, finally I was able to do some
decent work in the 6.  Remember the battery recharging problems I reported
about a month ago.

So I got the alternator out & opened it up.  The diode trio looked burnt
out, and the wiring of the rotor was also slightly damaged.  That explained
the current flow, even though nothing should be consuming energy.  Best
solution seemed to put in another alternator, what I did.

Everything seemed to go fine now, since :
* engine at 1500 rpm, little electricity consumption  - between the battery
poles I measure +- 14.2 volts.  The voltage at the alternator itself is
14.3 volts.  OK here.
* with the headlights on, this voltage goes down to about 13,9 volts.  OK
also.
* when the engine starts, the ampere meter shows "Charge", but this becomes
"neutral" quite fast.

So I did a tour of about 10 miles with the headlights on.  When I arrived
home, I backed the car up in the driveway and by accident stalled the
engine.  Fortunately I stalled it at home, because it did not restart any
more ! Battery flat.

So now, the alternator is OK, the wiring is OK, but the battery still goes
flat. I now suspect the battery itself again, although it tests fine (12.6
volts, it remains charged after a week, the test of the battery cells
showed "OK" too). I am going to try the 6 again now with another battery.

Anyone else has got this problem with a battery ? Or could it be something
else (I got a suggestion that it might be the starter that continues to use
power ?) ?

Bert