Re: engine rebuild tips

To: ktnkt@cape.com (KTnKT)
Subject: Re: engine rebuild tips
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
Kevin---Mr. Bentley's proceedure for rebuilding the TR6 engine will get
you thru this, if you follow each step, as written. It does get a little
tricky (I thought) when it comes to timing the valve train, tho mostly
it is due to British wording and their use of decimal points.
When you bolt your engine stand to the engine back plate, you'll
probably notice that the crank shaft can't be lifted out. What's
necessary here is a back plate that's been relieved at the bottom,
allowing the now upside-down engine to have its crank to be lifted
straight up, without the interference that a standard engine back plate
would present.  TRF has these modified back plates available. They use
these when rebuilding engines at their facilities, they claim, and offer
them when ordering rebuild parts. This little trick saves a lot of time.

The only other things I would have to offer are more obvious. Pre-clean
the area that you will be doing this work, and try to keep it clean.
Bag and tag the nuts and bolts, for ease in reassembly. Check off each
step in the manual as you do them.
Make it fun.

Dick T.
CF11143