TR6 Brakes

To: 6 Pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Brakes
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:30:01 -0400
List,
        I've finally got my "restored" '75 TR6 back on the road after a two
year engine rebuild and I've driven about 200 miles. Today, after a 25
mile drive I noticed that occasionaly the brake pedal will sink quite
low without much stopping power when the brakes are applied but will
become firm after a pump or two. The problem is becomming progressively
worse. There is no leak at the master cylinder, which remains full of
DOT 5 silicone fluid and there are no leaks at the front calipers or
rear wheel cylinders. The m/c was replaced with a new one at the
original restoration in 1994.
        My guess is that fluid is moving past the seals in the m/c, but since
they are so expensive to replace, I'm hoping some one has some
suggestions of other (less expensive) possible causes. I've not had much
long-term luck with rebuilding m/cs. Has any one had a rebuild last much
longer than 9 months to a year before internal/external leaking
occurred? I haven't.
Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U