Intro and engine miss quesstion

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intro and engine miss quesstion
From: "Chris N. Shively" <b_cshively@cox-internet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:27:03 -0500
Hi yall,
I just joined your group and this is the first time that I have
participated in the forum.  I guess this makes me a novice lister.
Short introduction: Live in Arkansas.  Own a 69 TR6 [since 1972].  I
finished a recent refurbishment [short of a true restoration] last
year.  This included engine rebuild interior work and new paint, etc.
Looked good and ran good for about 2000 miles... till several weeks ago.

Here is the question.  During a run, it developed a hard miss.  By
pulling the spark plug wires while the engine was running, I was able to
determine that the last two cylinders were dead.  Since the number 4
cylinder was operating OK, I didn't think it was the back carb.  The
first thing that I did was a compression check.  All cylinders within 5
psi.  Next, I sequenced through changing out the plugs, wires, points,
condenser and cap.  During this exercise, I was able to verify a good
spark.  I changed my attention to the back carb.  Using a can of ether
[spraying it around the carb, I found air leaks at the carb shaft and at
the manifold gasket.  The gasket was new, so I was surprised to find the
gasket material split down to the steel sheet in the middle of the
gasket.  I wasn't surprised with the shaft leak because I didn't replace
the seals during the last rebuild.  After fixing these, I put it all
back together with great anticipation, only to find no change in the
miss.  Sprayed around the engine with the ether again, but could not
find any other leaks.  The last thing that I did was to switch the carbs
[front to back and visa versa].  Absolutely no change.

Therefore, I now know its not the ignition and it is not the carbs.  The
only thing that is left is to start tearing down the engine.  I will be
looking for some type of communication between the number 5 and 6
cylinders above the valve seats.  There doesn't seem to be any
reasonable explanation.

I'm only waiting for two things: ANY OTHER IDEAS and cooler weather [97+
deg right now].  I know there is a wealth of knowledge out there and
hope any of you can help.  I welcome any suggestions.

Chris Shively
69 TR6
CC28237L