Re: 3 more questions.

To: "McBride, Scott" <SMcBride@CECControls.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3 more questions.
From: Grego Sanguinetti <grego@accelerant.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:00:22 -0700
Valerie Stabenow wrote:

> Congrats on the car, and on to your questions:
>
> !. The tachs do go out as do the speedometers. Depending on what drives the
> tach, disconnect the cable at the back end of the gauge and go for a drive
> with a friend watching to see the the cable end is spinning inside the
> casing. If it is, then it could be the gauge. However, if that square head
> end of the cable is worn down enough around the edges, it won't drive the
> guts of the tach. If you can get a good look at that cable end, maybe all
> you have to do is replace the cable. If, with a new cable the tach is still
> dead, time for rebuilding (I send my stuff to Nisonger in Marmaroneck, NY).

good points, except you don't have to drive the car since the tach is
driven off the distributor gearing. It spins anytime the engine is turning.
You can also disconnect the shaft at the motor and drive it with an electric
drill. Use one with a trigger controlled speed. That way you can further
isolate the problem.

I never got much better than 15 mpg either, but then I never really drive
my TR in a way that is conducive to good gas mileage so I don't really
know what it is capable of. I sure would like to get better mileage since
the tank is so small....

-grego