Re: 3 more questions.

To: "McBride, Scott" <SMcBride@CECControls.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 3 more questions.
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 14:05:14 -0500
Congrats on the car, and on to your questions:

!. The tachs do go out as do the speedometers. Depending on what drives the
tach, disconnect the cable at the back end of the gauge and go for a drive
with a friend watching to see the the cable end is spinning inside the
casing. If it is, then it could be the gauge. However, if that square head
end of the cable is worn down enough around the edges, it won't drive the
guts of the tach. If you can get a good look at that cable end, maybe all
you have to do is replace the cable. If, with a new cable the tach is still
dead, time for rebuilding (I send my stuff to Nisonger in Marmaroneck, NY).

2. I never bother with MPG but if you have stromberg carbs, you may want to
replace the diaphragms, a VERY easy job. There was an article in 6-pack
about it, I think. You also may want to run some fuel tank based carb
cleaner through the car for a tank and see if that helps. I have had good
results with a product called Sea Foam. You can put it in your gas and in
your oil and it cleans alot of old stuff out.

3. I would find a local british car club and talk to the members about whom
they have used. Yes, in theory any competent machine shop should be able to
do it, but I'd be very careful about whom I selected. Price is not always
the right way to approach it; one gets what one pays for and with cheap
work, you will end up paying for it ad infinitum.

Have Fun!!

Valerie Stabenow, mga, tr4a, xk-e, tr6