RE: Spooked

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, CreamerM@cintasmail.com
Subject: RE: Spooked
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:41:58 -0400
Mark:

Trust your gut when you get there and are able to meet the seller.  If his
house and garage are a mess, the car is dirty and he has no maintenance
records, leave immediately.  If he's super-anal about cleanliness and you
could eat off his garage floor, then I'd stay to look over the car.

I once went to Maine (from Ohio) to buy a fully original, perfect MGA with
44K original miles and a premium price.  I'll never know if the seller was
just an idiot passing on his mistakes or actively trying to rip people off,
but the car was full of filler, had a fake commission plate and myriad of
other faults.  I looked at the car for about 45 seconds and left.

But, I've also bought cars in Oklahoma and New Jersey, driven them home,
and had a very pleasurable buying experience with the cars described
exactly as they were...but those sellers seemed more honest on the phone
and I had a better feeling going into the deal.

Don't rush...there are plenty of TR6s out there...and October is a great
time to buy them.

>--- "Creamer, Mark" <CreamerM@cintasmail.com> wrote:
>> Guys,
>> my prospective seller has me spooked. Here's the deal. I'm going to
>> look at
>> a 73 TR6  this weekend, and while giving me directions, his e-mail
>> said "by
>> the way, be sure to trailer it home if you buy it, remember it's a
>> 25-year
>> old car."
>>
>> It's only 2 hours away, and I'm looking at presumably  a
>> professionally
>> restored car in top condition.
>>
>> I questioned what he meant, and he said "I meant that the
>> car probably shouldn't be driven at high speed on the interstate for
>> prolonged period of time. You will want to have the oil changed when
>> you get
>> it just for your own piece of mind, and maybe tune it up but other
>> than that
>> it is a great driver."
>>
>> My intention is to find a car that I can drive almost daily, except
>> in bad
>> weather. When I'm not driving, it will be kept in a garage, and
>> maintained
>> religiously. Should I be concerned about this, or is this the same
>> advice
>> you guys would give a new owner that has never owned one of these
>> before?
>> Remember, this isn't going to sit in a museum, I want to drive it.
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts...
>> Mark Creamer

William Whitmoyer
69 TR6