Re: Spooked

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spooked
From: John Summers <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:20:27 -0400
I just read William Elliot's comments on the "I'm Spooked" train of
thought.
        When I got my TR 6 ( I've told this story before so I will condense it)
in October '98 I got it from a guy in West Virginia.  I live in
Florida.  Got the car drove it to my aunt's in southern Ohio and it
stopped going into gear just as I was making a left turn off a busy
highway into her driveway.  Not knowing anything about TRs, I had to let
it set a week until the only mechanic within 100 miles who knew how to
fix it had the time.
        Repaired, I bravely, gallantly, foolishly set off on my journey back to
Florida.  In Charlotte NC I gave up the fight after two breakdowns and
loaded it onto a trailer.
I have since learned how to deal with the minor problems that stopped me
on THAT trip, but knowing what I know now,,,,I would have trailered it
from day one.
        The car sounded good from afar (and overall it is) but small problems
ruined my first experience with my TR 6  which had been a car I wanted
for 30 years.
Unless you are a mechanic and are sure of the car - put it on a trailer.
John Summers
'74 TR 6