Re: Unleaded OK?

To: jsantamaria@lucent.com
Subject: Re: Unleaded OK?
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:25:05 -0700

Joe,

I've put about 3,000 miles on my Lucas PI system over the past year using only
unleaded fuel.  I had the PI system overhauled in 1996 and it sat until
installed on the car last year.  So far I have experienced no problem with the
unit at all!  A couple of other PI users here in America have been running
unleaded through their PI systems without any adverse effects.

There was some concern that lead was used to lubricate the shuttle inside the
metering unit.  Those list members knowledgeable in chemistry stated that lead
could only become a lubricant under the heat of combustion making in doubtful
that it had any effect on the shuttle.

Recent concern has been expressed about the rubber seals inside the MU and
injectors.  I'm not sure what basis there is for this concern but I have yet to
see any adverse impact upon my PI system.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave Stauffacher
Ramona, California
1970 TR6 PI CP51649

With all this talk of unleaded and effects on valves can anyone share their
experience on the effect of unleaded on all injection components, for those
that have the mechanical LUCAS system

Joe Santamaria
Call Centre Consultant
E-Communications Design and Implementation