Re: Unleaded OK?

To: mcreamer@cinci.rr.com (Mark Creamer)
Subject: Re: Unleaded OK?
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:37:37 -0700 (PDT)
Mark---Here's my version of the "quick and dirty."... Unfortunately,
some of our suppliers like to try to scare owners of the TR6 into buying
a few of their products, claiming the _______ will self destruct if this
or that part isn't changed. So it is with the hardened valve seat
inserts that can be installed in the heads of all TR6's. The valve seats
from the factory are part of the cast iron head. (They must be machined
out if the hardened ones are to be installed.) Since non-leaded gas is
all that has been available for a good many years now at major service
stations, it must now be obvious that our engines will run on this
without undue harm.  As a precaution, or check against such wear in the
valve seats, a simple check can be performed. If your valve clearance
(lash) between the rocker pads and the valve stems is not becoming
smaller, there is no problem to deal with. Most stock clearances are set
around .010. This clearance usually grows larger thru wear in the valve
train, over many miles. Just check your valve clearances as routine
maintenance, and adjust accordingly.  Heavier valve springs such as
those needed for racing cams may need to be checked more often.

Dick T.