Re: [Vintage-race] Trailer tires

To: Nor Cal SAAC <webmaster@norcal-saac.org>
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] Trailer tires
From: Chris Thompson <chris@cthompson.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:41:36 -0400
Radial tires were invented to give additional traction during turning
(up to a point of course - and then they let go in a more dramatic
way).  The flexible sidewall is the key.

Trailer tires primarily need to give traction primarily when stopping.

The flexible side-walls of radial tires can increase sway in a trailer.
Bias-ply have much stiffer sidewalls, and are beautifully suited to
trailer applications.

I will amend my always, always statement.  There are some radials
specially designed with stiffer sidewalls for trailer application to
satisfy those folks who think radials are always better.  But you have
to make sure to get these, and not ordinary car tires to put on your
trailer....

Regards,
Chris