In car video cameras

To: "Henry Frye" <thefryes@iconn.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: In car video cameras
From: "Kerry Seibert" <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:40:13 -0500
HENRY -
I posted a similar question to the group and was equally thrilled with the
ago.  How time flies, it was August of 2000!!!!  FWIW, my "findings":

1) If you are starting from scratch, with no camera, then a dedicated system
of separate camera and recording device is the way to go.  Many options and
the prices range
    all over the place.  eg. Try www.racecam.com or www.seawood.com/rcs/ or
the helmetcam site.  FF racer and list member Andy Hiller has a camera but
his
    website doesn't seem to work?  Andy?

2) If you are stuck with a typical camcorder and are looking for the cheap
way out (like me!) no matter what method or mount you decide to use, you
MUST make it as
    solid as possible.  I didn't believe it either, but it works, get rid of
those old pieces of inner tube between the rollbar and camera mount.  The
average camcorder is just
    too big and heavy and ends up flopping around on whatever mount you use.
Someone pointed out correctly that these cameras were meant to sit on a
tripod at your
    kid's birthday party, not bounce over curbs at 100 mph.  My camera sits
on an I/O port mount on the diagonal of my rollbar.  There is about 1"
clearance between it and
    the main hoop.  I went to Sears and bought a  biggish rubber donut
(plumbing item), and cut it.  I then wrapped it around the rollbar and
wedged it between the camera
    and main hoop.  Used some tape.  That Rube Goldbergish mod has made a
huge difference as the camera has little movement and the video now has
minimal shake.

3) Put tape over the speaker grill if you're using a standard camcorder.
Once you leave the false grid, the only thing you are recording is howling
wind noise and the
    speaker can be damaged.  A little engine noise will still get through
the tape, so your video will not be totally silent.

4) If you're running an open car, make up a plexiglass windshield for the
front of the camera.  It will not only shield the camera somewhat from the
direct wind but
    also offer some protection from bugs, gravel, and tire bits (I do a lot
of following . . . . . . . . .).  The bracket for the shield should be
mounted independently of the
    regular camera mounting system so IT does not affect the set-up.

Cheers, Craig Seibert        1968 Morgan +8        car no.611       "Duff
Morgan Racing"