Re: Filters for velocity stacks

To: EeeMCee@cs.com
Subject: Re: Filters for velocity stacks
From: Mark Haynes <haynes386@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 14:32:00 -0600
Michael- Quoting directly ( as I appear to have had a memory reversal on the
length/RPM issue),"Anything with a radius over about 1/8" is within a 99% chance
of working. Where a radius is not totally formed, i.e.it doesn't roll back
completely on itself, then so long as it turns out at least 60 degrees, it will
work."    The example which Vizard tested out almost the best ( interms of flow
rate) has a 10 degree flair  (per side-20 degree inclusive), with a 1/4"radius
turning back 270 degrees. I'm unsure as to the real effectual area which will
cause an impingement in flow, I'd guess that 2D is a bit extreme.   I don't
believe that a filter will have much, if any, effect on HP output (I know I'll
hear about that statement-shields up). I do know that your engine will have a
longer, happier life if it doesn't ingest rubber pieces, gravel and the odd nut
that flies by. This, in turn, translates into more enjoyment of the racing,and
less futzing around in the paddock.
    In regards to how much difference does it make on a Sprite, when you're
trying to race something that originally had 30 some horses, every little
percentage is a bonus. If using the right ram pipe on the carb will increase my
throughput by 5.8%, then it's 5.8% more than I'd have had otherwise
Mark Haynes