Re: Shop Floors

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, "Henry Frye" <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: Shop Floors
From: "John Lehman" <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 14:42:00 -0400

> I used the Wirsbo system. I can't remember the names of the others I
looked
> at, but the Wirsbo appeared to be the best of the bunch. I am very happy
> with the system, radiant heat is awesome. Highly recommended to anyone who
> wants to play with cars in the winter.

Henry,

Very nice compliment for radiant floor and Wirsbo.  Wirsbo has been at it
longer than anyone with pex pipe and the heat is unbeatable, both for
comfort and economy.  Wirsbo also sponsors my efforts with the GT6 at
Mid-Ohio.  Will we see you there in the MG/Triumph challenge?

> If I had to do it over again, I would probably use even more insulation
> under the slab. I think I am losing lots of heat under the slab. And I
> would never even consider building another shop without infloor radiant
> heat. Once you've had it, you can't go back to torpedo heaters!

If you've insullated the edge of the slab to r-10 and under the slab to r-5
you've got a good system.  There is a diminishing return for more
insulation, although more can't really hurt.  Most of the heat that is lost
by the slab is through the vertical edge to the (often frozen) earth on the
outside.  Soil is not a terribly good conductor, so downward losses are less
significant, though not negligible. If you have the concrete poured on
bedrock or a rock shelf, that's a far better conductor than say clay and
more insulation would be indicated.  Ground water can also steal a lot of
heat.

If I can be of help to fellow racers, I've got twenty times the experience
in radiant floor heating that I've got in vintage racing!  Which is to say I
can use all the help I can get with the racing effort!

John Lehman
Ohio Regional Office
J.C. Mottinger Associates, Inc.
Manufacturers' Representatives
1008 Crook St.,  Grafton, OH  44044
Ph: (440) 926-2404   Fax (440 ) 926-1194
JELehman@ix.netcom.com   www.Wirsbo.com