Re: Shop Floors

To: "Dave Scarlett @ TubeTech" <scarlett@tubetechltd.com>,
Subject: Re: Shop Floors
From: "John Lehman" <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 14:10:06 -0400
Dave,

Removing the old floor would probably be a real job!  If you can spare the
headroom, an overpour would be much easier.  Besides, the old concrete has
stabilized over the years and probably isn't going anywhere.

What is CS pipe and why wouldn't you use pex pipe which is the tried and
proven pipe (30+ years experience) for this application?  You can probably
use 1/2" pex for this application.  Don't use metal pipe, whatever you do.
Concrete causes electolytic corrosion of virtually all metals, and limited
lifetime is the result.  Pex pipe's projected life is 100+ years in concrete
(full 25 year warranty).

Try to get a bit of insulation between the slabs to prevent downward heat
loss.  rFoil (another company I rep for) makes a 5/16" thick
bubble/foil/bubble insulation designed for under concrete which can provide
an effective barrier to heat flow (about r-8).  Note that the aluminum foil
is protected from contact with the concrete by a double layer of
polyethylene bubbles.  Use a flat mat 6"x6" #10 wire mesh to reinforce the
new slab and provide a grid to attach the pex tubing with wire ties.

John Lehman
Ohio Regional Office
J.C. Mottinger Associates, Inc.
Manufacturers' Representatives
1008 Crook St.,  Grafton, OH  44044
Ph: (440) 926-2404   Fax (440 ) 926-1194
JELehman@ix.netcom.com   www.Wirsbo.com