Re: Flywheel explosions

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel explosions
From: CarterCM@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:54:28 EST
In a message dated 2/16/00 10:44:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
JWoesvra@aol.com writes:

<<  A broken u-joint can be just as frightening.  >>
A related story,
A few months ago I was talking with Bob Sharp about one of his Datsun 2000
roadster racecars that I'm restoring for vintage racing. He told me that once
in a race, the front u-joint let go and came right up through the floor and
just missed his right leg! (Looks like a steel plate was installed shortly
thereafer.) With the 2000's 5-speed OD trans and 4.6 (and up) gears, that
drive shaft is really spinning.

BTW, anyone have any good/bad experience with composite drive shafts?

Craig Carter
Fountain Valley, CA