Re: Spirit of Vintage Racing, was Re: Lime Rock Fall Festival

To: hayes@mediaone.net, vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spirit of Vintage Racing, was Re: Lime Rock Fall Festival
From: Joseph_Chimbolo@hyperion.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:01:39 -0500

The topic is not about driving, race vs. vintage race, but one of the overall
theme of the event.  People have their preferences on how the cars should be
driven.  Some people want to race, taking that chance if it means a win.  Others
race with a little more restraint.  But in either situation my feeling is the
car prep should be authentic.  People who attend the event should be presented
with vintage cars.  And if someone can jump in a period car and file a better
lap time than Hill, Gurney or Moss, that must be a great feeling.  But to do it
with titanium rods, aluminum flywheel, penske shocks, gumball tires...big deal.

It is hard work to find all the correct parts to restore a car that was cobbled
up in the late 70's.  And more expensive.  It is a let down to me when I look in
a vintage car and see the latest Autometer NASCAR guages.  But the overall
atmosphere of Goodwood was of Retro.  And yes the cars were driven hard, harder
than some would  like, but I did not see glass flares and the like.  I have no
problem with watching cars swap paint, I think it is great to see a hard race.
As long as the "swappers of paint" both agree on that style of racing.  I have
no interest in doing myself, an unlimited budget may change my attitude.  In
retirement, perhaps Bill Gates would like to sponsor me?

Imagine going to an art museum and seeing a famous painting, Mona Lisa.  Then
having the curator tell you,"Well, we thought the reds were a little dull, so
last week we added some extra color.  And the background was a little empty so
we added a table with flower pots to the painting."