Re: Spirit of Vintage Racing, was Re: Lime Rock Fall Festival

To: bspruck@mindspring.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spirit of Vintage Racing, was Re: Lime Rock Fall Festival
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:17:51 GMT
>From: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>
>To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
>Subject: Spirit of Vintage Racing, was Re: Lime Rock Fall Festival
>Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 12:47:27 -0500

>One of the competitors I talked with felt the
>group was looking for "old ladies racing slow cars".

Bob & group,

As I think Dick Martin used to say, "I resemble that remark!"

Seriously, the person who said that is way off base.  I have driven my own
car on hard, skinny tires and on softer, wider tires.  It is WAY, WAY easier
to drive on soft wide tires.

In my opinion, any "old lady" can drive a vintage car on modern rubber.  It
takes a lot more talent & guts to drive it near the limit, on period-correct
tires.

Apparently this guy would characterize Fitch, Hansgen, Shelby, P. Hill and
the rest of their era as just a bunch of old ladies driving slow cars.  I
tend to disagree.

With apologies to the mature women on this list (many of whom have whipped
my butt on a racetrack somewhere).

Regards,
Mark Palmer
MGA #185