Re: Oil Filters

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil Filters
From: rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 09:36:58 -0700
JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:

I like the K&N's because they have a safety wire
> provision.

The Formula Jr. that I bought in Australia ( JOLUS ) had a very neat
idea which I have used on other cars.  The owner had drilled and tapped
the screw-on filter housing to accept a bolt about an inch long which
stuck down along side the filter body.  He then place an appropriately
sized hose clamp around the filter so that the worm-drive screw housing
was up tight against the bolt when tightened on the filter housing.  It
was placed on the filter so that when trying to unscrew the filter, the
hose clamp would hit against the bolt and resist the un-screwing
movement.  A really neat idea!  On other cars (even street cars), I have
used a hose clamp around the filter housing and run safety wire through
one of the slots and attached it to some nearby structure to impede
counter-clockwise rotation.  Nothing worse than having a filter get
loose or come off.  The alternative seems to be to over-tighten
initially and then have the problem of getting the element off when you
want to.

Dick Buckingham, Jr.
Jolus Formula Jr.