Oil Filters

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Filters
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:45:42 -0800
Thought I posted this a few days ago, but I never saw it..
Apologies if I am in error.

I am going to upgrade my MGA oil filter from the traditional felt type
to a low micron spin on filter cartridge (if I can find same).  I have a

MGB spin on adapter.
Can anyone advise if there is any cross reference between the type of
filter a MGB would use and Detroit iron.  It would be kinda nice to be
able to pick up a new filter from a local auto parts store.

Anyone care to comment on oil filters in general, pressure drop versus
particle size etc.  How big is a teeny weeny bit of piston ring iron
anyway?  My felt filters worked wonderfully in the past at trapping
paint flecks and Vandervell dandruff, but they don't stop cylinder wear
particles.  Nice low pressure drop though, but then, so is an empty
pipe.

In lubricitous anticipation
Malcolm Cox, Napa