Re: Why go halfway? / secret stuff

To: harwooc@gov.on.ca
Subject: Re: Why go halfway? / secret stuff
From: mwjordan@JUNO.COM (M. W. Jordan, Jr.)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:34:15 EST
The question of an overflow tube raises interesting points.

I race (sometimes) a 73 Norton 750, usually with AHRMA or with WERA, both
of which are very concerned about oil on the track, perhaps even more so
than with vintage cars - four wheels vs two.  Both tech requirements deal
with overflow of crankcase vents, and both require a catch can for the
crankcase breather.  The catch can will frequently do what it is intended
to do, that is receive oil from the breather, and prevent the oil from
dumping on the track.  But every catch can I have ever seen also has a
vent to allow the pressure from the crank case to be relieved, after all
that's the purpose of the breather in the first place.  So my catch can
has a second tube that vents the crankcase pressure, after leaving behind
the oil, to the atmosphere.  If the catch can gets too full, or if I
forget to empty the catch can after a race, there is the possibility I
may spill oil on the track.

The question about a catch can for radiator overflow seem analogous.  The
catch can must be vented somehow so that the overflow can get to the
catch can in the first place.  The trick, I would think, would be to
gauge the size of the overflow  vessel or catch can so as to reduce to
likely hood that it would fill and then spill to the track surface.

Just an observation.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Greenwood, Mississippi
59 TR3A, misc Norton motorcycles, misc Triumph motorcycles, misc Ducati
single motorcycles, misc BSA motorcycles