Re: Why go halfway? / secret stuff

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why go halfway? / secret stuff
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:19:05 -0500
Wm. Severin Thompson writes:

> What pisses me off more than anything is the behind the scenes secret
> handshake mentality in vintage racing today.

A friend had a complaint about water squirting from the car in front of him
during a race... Looking at the car afterward, there was a tube, what appeared
to be an open length of brakeline, sticking up through the cowl grille in front
of the passenger side windscreen, and that side of the windscreen had residue
of a spray coming from the area of the tube.

There is no way this was a windshield squirter- there was none on the driver
side, and no wipers. There's only one thing we could think it was for- it
appeared to be a device for spraying on cars behind you... (I do have a
somewhat legible photo, in case anyone else has other ideas.)

Well, like I said, he was going to file a complaint, until he found out that
the car belonged to the chief tech inspector. That put a stopper in the works,
and it was already late on Sunday, so he passed. Thinking back, this may have
been brought to the attention of the clerk of the course, but it's a tough
one.

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."