Re: Oxygen sensors or Exhaust Gas Temps

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Oxygen sensors or Exhaust Gas Temps
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 96 11:45:09 pst

You are correct in your understanding that the lead in race gas is bad for
the O2 sensor.  People have tried to resurrect them after fouling with a
torch.  I personally have not done this.

Regarding EGT (Exhaust gas temp.) themocouples and gauges.  I use two sending
unit one the #1 and one on the #4 header pipes.  These are quite small and only
the tip is inside the tube.  The temperature readings are great  way of
seeing if the air/fuel mixture is even at LOAD.  But I always correlate them
with the plugs.

In fact at a recent race for whatever reason the number 4 cyl. exhaust
was way too cool and I compensated by asymetriclally jetting the webber.
It really made a difference.  Now why was that cyl cooler is still not
clear.

Mordy Dunst