Oxygen sensors or Exhaust Gas Temps

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Oxygen sensors or Exhaust Gas Temps
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 22:13:53 -0700
Im getting an urge to fiddle with my carbs, but have been advised it may stunt
my pistons.

Specifically, @ 12:1, I have heard that there seems to be great risk of erring
on the lean side
and perforating same.

On the shallow face of it, it seems that an Oxygen sensor would be a foolproof
method of getting
the mixture right, presumably one for each carb/exhaust combo would be
spiffing.  However
these sensors seem to be big and cannot stand leaded racing gas for long and so
would only be
useful for an occasional test and tune session.

On the other hand, fitting exhaust gas sensors could also be useful in setting
the mixture, with
 the advantage that the thermocouple is small and can be left in place and you
can keep your eye
on it while racing.  Presumably somewhere there is a good correlation chart
from temps to
mixture strength to help me get it right.

Your thoughts, agreements and denials, gentlemen please.
(By the way, these are or course vintage oxygen sensors and vintage exhaust gas
temperature
thermocouples I am referring to ;-).
--
Malcolm Cox, Napa, CA           malcox@napanet.net