Re: Oxygen sensors or Exhaust Gas Temps

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oxygen sensors or Exhaust Gas Temps
From: pmeis@bgsm.edu (paul meis)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 13:04:12 -0500
Malcolm cox writes:
>Im getting an urge to fiddle with my carbs, but have been advised it may
>stunt my pistons.
>
>Specifically, @ 12:1, I have heard that there seems to be great risk of
>erring on the lean side
>and perforating same.
>
>On the shallow face of it, it seems that an Oxygen sensor would be a
>foolproof method of getting
>the mixture right, presumably one for each carb/exhaust combo would be
>spiffing.  However
>these sensors seem to be big and cannot stand leaded racing gas for long
>and so would only be
>useful for an occasional test and tune session.
>
>On the other hand, fitting exhaust gas sensors could also be useful in
>setting the mixture, with
> the advantage that the thermocouple is small and can be left in place and
>you can keep your eye
>on it while racing.  Presumably somewhere there is a good correlation
>chart from temps to
>mixture strength to help me get it right.
>
>Your thoughts, agreements and denials, gentlemen please.
>(By the way, these are or course vintage oxygen sensors and vintage
>exhaust gas temperature
>thermocouples I am referring to ;-).
>--
>Malcolm Cox, Napa, CA           malcox@napanet.net
>Vintage Race MGA 1960, #80
Team Escargot has used exhaust gas temp sensors in our S-800 Honda engines
for the past 4 years. To my knowledge, no correlation charts exist. The
theory seems to be to lean out your carbs until you get the maximum temp,
(usually seen at peak revs on the main straight), then back down one jet
size. We have usually just leaned down to bring the temps to 1200-1300
degrees which, with our engines seems to correlate with plug readings
indicating mildly lean mixture. The setup has been quite useful, though I
have had several sensors go bad. Good luck.  ;-)

Paul Meis, Winston-Salem NC
69 NTM-Honda D-sports racer
72 Honda ZA 600 coupe

"The problem with my team is, I have an idiot for a mechanic and a fool for
a driver, and we are all the same person"