Vintage Race Rules

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, gpetrola@firefly.prairienet.org
Subject: Vintage Race Rules
From: Vintagemg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 00:13:49 -0400
I may start a war with my comments, but I no idea of how many people are on
this list.  Here goes.

I am a member of two vintage race organizations, the VSCCA and SVRA.  As far
as I know, all cars that are eligible for VSCCA are eligible for SVRA.  The
opposite is not true, since 1) VSCCA does not allow cars manufactured after
1959 (unless manufactured in a later year with no changes), and 2) some
models are not considered rare and unusual enough (appologies to TR2 and TR3
owners).

My beef is that for cars that overlap the vintage organizations, the rules
for entry, are not the same.  The rules regarding which tires are allowed are
different for each organization.  e.g. Wire wheels allowed in VSCCA,
Panasports in SVRA.   SUs carbs in VSCCA, Webers in SVRA.  The list goes on.

While the basic tenet of vintage racing is to preserve, display and enjoy
motor racers as they were back then, we all enjoy  going fast.  Fast, however
is relative.  Relative to how fast the people around you are going.  As a
racer, vintage or otherwise, you want to be competitive.  Due to the
different rules amonst the many organizations can leave you at a competitive
disadvantage.  Some people swap rims, tires, carbs, even motors between
various races sanctioned by different organizations.  I believe that this is
a waste of time and money.

It would be really great if the magazines which we all support with our
subscriptions and adverts and the members of the various organizations could
press their group leadership and the Vintage Motorsports Council to attempt
to find some reasonable common ground with regard to vintage race car
classification.  What constitutes an original specification, what tires are
acceptable, etc.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Jay Nadelson
VintageMG@aol.com
1960 MGA Roadster