Re: Vintage Race Rules

To: Vintagemg@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vintage Race Rules
From: BUTTOLPHP@axe.humboldt.edu
Date: Thu, 04 May 1995 08:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
Jay,
        Ahhhh...that is why I have been having such a hard time getting a
solid recommendation about an association to join that would support
vintage Corvette racing...In the early 60's I "raced" a 55' Healey in
SCCA and Nevada Sports Touring events and then a few up here in Northern
California...the BN1 is long since gone (sniffle), but the great memories
of the fun loving, open and sharing people engaged in those speed events are
still very strong..in this case the "good old days" really were.  Folks
with XK120's would quickly lend a hand repairing a DKW and would never
look down their noses at "lesser cars".. The process was enjoyed ..regardless
of what you raced, you were part of it..no elitism.  Enter the "I got
mine and to hell with you" crowd..times, they have changed.  Not just in
vintage racing. Sad.  I don't want to jump to conclusions or to
generalize about the status of vintage racing associations/clubs, but I
hear a common thread on the "Wheel-to-wheel" list about SCCA et al.

If there is a group that encourages and embraces novices, engages in
the racing for the zeal of speed, resurrecting old cars, associating with
fellow gear-heads and enjoying a good belly laugh at their own
expense...then point me towards them.  I have a restored 62' Corvette
that I drive everywhere and would enjoy getting back into organized speed
events, but if that involves playing silly games with midget minded
self-possessed "speed racers"...screw it. I will crank up my tunes and
take it to the backroads..

Soooooo, if the real drivers out there know of a kindred group, please
send me their name, address and your recommendations...life is way to
short to sweat the small stuff!

Phil:::

Phillip Buttolph                *FAX  (707)826-5446
Humboldt State University       *Work (707)826-4104
Sateen Silver 62'Corvette       *Internet: "BUTTOLPHP@axe.Humboldt.edu"