Re: [TR] TR6: seeking exhaust recommendation

To: one_second_zero@yahoo.com, McGaheyRx@aol.com, jmitch@snet.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6: seeking exhaust recommendation
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:08:53 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/2006 11:08:11 AM Central Standard Time,
one_second_zero@yahoo.com writes:
> So, it sounds like perhaps the Falcon SS TR6 exhaust is probably not the
> best choice for a deeper, throatier sound.   I actually like the Monza
>exhaust
> sound that I've heard (although it was years ago).   I just prefer the
> original design of the twin outlet pipe offset to the side. Seems to fit the
>looks
> of the car better.   I think the four outlets of the Monza is a bit
> over-the-top visually for these cars.  Just my personal opinion but I may end
>up going
> the Monza route anyway for the sound before it is all said and done.

Quite frankly, I think the problem is the muffler skin is too thin and
resonates.  With the mild steel mufflers the steel is thicker because it would
rust
out too quickly if the same thickness steel were used.  I haven't tried
wrapping it with anything yet although I've considered using exhaust wrap and
just
using some super long hose clamps that I got for this purpose.  But since I
drive the TR8 most of the time (the TR6 was down for 8 months waiting for tires
(and winter) and is currently in storage making space for the TR3 restoration)
so it is currently academic for me.

The pipes are fine and will last forever.  Maybe the preferred combo is the
mild steel muffler and the stainless pipes.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org