stuck head on TR2

To: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>
Subject: stuck head on TR2
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:49:22 -0400
Cc: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> i6TBout2023356
Message text written by "Lou Metelko"
>While driving the 54 TR2 over the weekend it developed a miss that was
traced
to two of the three exhaust springs on #3 cylinder were broken.  Relatively
easy fix but the head is stuck fast.  I spent the better part of the
afternoon
tugging, jerking and banging to say nothing of the new language that was
learned.  I have squirted penetrant down the studs and banged repeatedly
with
a block of wood and hammer to no avail.  Don't want to use the rope in the
spark plug hole for fear of breaking loose the liners.  It is the low port
head with a TS1297E number.  Any suggestions.
<

I've never tried this but it was suggested to me many years ago.  (First
replace all the head nuts and torque back down) make a fitting that will
allow you to apply compressed air to the spark plug hole.  Rotate the
engine until you are at BDC on cylinder #3.  Since the rocker assembly has
been removed both valves will be closed.  Apply 100 PSI to the spark plug
hole.  100 PSI on the exhaust valve will apply a force in excess of 100 lbs
on the bottom of the valve allowing you to compress the spring, remove the
keeper and springs, and replace same.

The worst case scenario is you drop the valve and then you'll have to pull
then head (which you are doing anyway).

Dave