TR6 Cylinder Liner Replacement

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Cylinder Liner Replacement
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:34:35 -0700 (PDT)
List,

I'm reworking a TR6 motor....have found that 4 of the 6 bores will easily be
able to remain standard.  Two of the bores have some pits around the area where
the rings were (car was stored for 14+ years).  Anyhow.....wondering if any of
you have replaced just the liners rather than reboring the block?  I'd like
some feedback on the +/- of doing it that way.  The workshop manual says the
biggest overbore allowed is + .020", but BPNW and others sell piston / ring
sets up to + .060".

What do you suggest?  At this point, I'm inclined to just replace the two
liners that need it, hone the other cylinders, and install new rings. I'll also
install new bearing shells (including thrust), and do a valve job.  The car has
pretty low original miles, there isn't even a ring wear groove in the
unaffected cylinders.

TIA!

Chad