RE: TR6 Cylinder Liner Replacement

To: "'Chad Jester'" <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Cylinder Liner Replacement
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:54:36 -0400
Chad,
I suggest locating a GOOD machine shop and having them bore it +.020".
My car, CF38690UO is bored +.040" with no problems whatsoever. As was
mentioned in another post, the 6 cylinder engines have no liners,
however they can be bored and liners installed by a competent shop.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

List,

I'm reworking a TR6 motor....have found that 4 of the 6 bores will
easily be able to remain standard.  Two of the bores have some pits
around the area where the rings were (car was stored for 14+ years).
Anyhow.....wondering if any of you have replaced just the liners rather
than reboring the block?  I'd like some feedback on the +/- of doing it
that way.  The workshop manual says the biggest overbore allowed is +
.020", but BPNW and others sell piston / ring sets up to + .060".

What do you suggest?  At this point, I'm inclined to just replace the
two liners that need it, hone the other cylinders, and install new
rings. I'll also install new bearing shells (including thrust), and do a
valve job.  The car has pretty low original miles, there isn't even a
ring wear groove in the unaffected cylinders.

TIA!

Chad